October is upon us and with it comes the Hunter’s Moon, shining its celestial light on the night sky.
But Hunter’s Moon is more than just a fancy name for a full moon.
The Hunter’s Moon got its name from the ancient tradition of hunting during this time of year. As the leaves fell from the trees, the bright light of the Hunter’s Moon made it easier for hunters to track their prey.
Hence, the name Hunter’s Moon.
But the Hunter’s Moon isn’t just for hunters, it’s also a time to celebrate the harvest and prepare for the long winter ahead. Some say the Hunter’s Moon is a time to gather food, protect your home, and make preparations for the cold months ahead.
So, how can one celebrate this celestial event?:
- Have a moonlit picnic with friends and family.
- Visit a local pumpkin patch and select the perfect pumpkin to carve.
- Take a walk in the woods and listen to the sounds of the night.
- Have a lunar-themed dance party with glowing moon decorations.
- Host a movie night under the moonlight and watch werewolf-themed movies.
Let’s get ready to howl at the moon, and make this Hunter’s Moon a night to remember!
Just remember, safety first! Don’t get lost in the woods, and if you plan on howling, be sure not to be caught by werewolf hunters.
Happy Hunter’s Moon, everyone!”
The name Blood Moon is often used for the full moon of October, but this name is also used for when a Total Lunar Eclipse happens.The Blood Moon of October is only red in symbolism, but the Total Lunar Eclipse actually colors the moon a shade of red.
The full moon in October is also known as:
- Autumn Moon
- Blackberry Moon (Choctaw)
- Blood Moon (Old English) (Neo Pagan) (Wicca)
- Dying Moon
- Drying Rice Moon (Dakota)
- Dying Grass Moon (Dakota)
- Fall Moon
- Falling Leaves Moon (Anishinaabe)
- Freezing Moon (Ojibwe)
- Harvest Moon (Celtic) (Cherokee) (Old English)
- Hunter’s Moon (Old English) (?)
- Ice Moon (Haida)
- Kindly Moon (Chinese)
- Migrating Moon (Cree)
- Moon When Quilling and Beading is Done (Dakota) (Sioux)
- Pumpkin Moon
- Sanguine Moon
- Seed Moon (S. Africa)
- Seed fall Moon (Old English)
- Travel Moon
- Vap Poya (Buddhist)
Upcoming Hunter Moons:
2022 October 9, 21:55 UTC
2023 October 28, 20:24 UTC
2024 October 17, 12:26 UTC
2025 October 7, 04:58 UTC
2026 October 26, 04:12 UTC
#FullMoon #FullMoonOctober #OctoberFullMoon #HuntersMoon #BlackberryMoon #BloodMoon #DyingMoon #DryingRiceMoon #DyingGrassMoon #FallMoon #FallingLeavesMoon #FreezingMoon #HarvestMoon #IceMoon #KindlyMoon #MigratingMoon #MoonWhenQuillingAndBeadingIsDone #PumpkinMoon #SanguineMoon #SeedMoon #TravelMoon #FullHuntersMoon #FullBlackberryMoon #FullBloodMoon #FullDyingMoon #FullDryingRiceMoon #FullDyingGrassMoon #FullFallMoon #FullFallingLeavesMoon #FullFreezingMoon #FullHarvestMoon #FullIceMoon #FullKindlyMoon #FullMigratingMoon #FullMoonWhenQuillingAndBeadingIsDone #FullPumpkinMoon #FullSanguineMoon #FullSeedMoon #FullTravelMoon